Monday, January 22, 2018

Red, Gray and White Slab Quilt

A few posts back, I showed you two red, gray and white slab quilt blocks that I had made for a quilt for a new refugee to Canada.  I did not have time myself to make all of the blocks for this quilt, so I asked members of two of the guilds I belong to if they would like to help out by making a block or two. Several members of both guilds made blocks for me and soon I had enough for a single bed quilt.  I received 26 blocks from my quilting friends and ended up making two more myself (still not even a dent in my scraps!)  for a total of 30 blocks (including the two I had made previously). 


I decided to use sashing and cornerstones around each block.  The gray and red fabrics were in my stash.  I used two different reds that looked similar for the cornerstones.   My friend, Cathy, has Electric Quilt on her computer and she helped me to figure out the number of squares and sashing strips to cut as well as how wide to make them to end up with the right size of quilt in the end.


I don't like sewing long skinny strips to rows of blocks so I added two sashing strips and a corner block to each 12.5" block.


Here are my extra two blocks in progress.


Here are the first 12 blocks laid out on the floor.  I hope to have all of the blocks sewn together into a finished top by later this week.  The sashing and corner blocks will go around the entire quilt.  Then, I will need to get some backing fabric.

Thanks, quilting friends, for your help making blocks for this quilt!  I could not have done it without you!


8 comments:

  1. I couldn’t help out making blocks, so I was glad to be able to help doing the layout in Electric Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning,
    I really love the colors in this quilt! The reds and shade of gray you selected look fabulous together. It's not a combination I use often, and I'm asking myself why not?!! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt and wonderful reason to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How special to make the scrappy reds for a quilt for your refugee! The gray really accents it as well. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your color choices--and your block design. It's going to be a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt and will be much appreciated I'm sure.

    I noticed that you have the Elgin Piecemakers Quilt Guild in your sidebar. I think they're the closest quilt guild to Glencoe, On. I was wondering if you might be able to tell me who to contact to find out if they would be interested in the donation of some quilting cotton. We are moving and so I'm sorting and purging fabric before packing. All the fabric comes from a smoke free, pet free home. Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete